Is there a magic time to sell?
Most sellers like to list when everyone else does (in the spring and summer months), however in a sellers market, where the housing supply is low and the buyer demand is high, your house could have less competition from other houses by choosing another time. Watch my video interview with a local lender (below) to see how COVID-19 and historically low mortgage rates have created a great time to buy and sell Real Estate. (Recorded Apr. 2020) during Shelter In Place order. Since then, homes ARE being showed by appointment only--while adhering to strict safety protocols. Watch the full video to learn how buyers and sellers are benefiting.
Checklist - Preparing your house for sale:
Properly preparing your house for sale can make a considerable difference in the time it takes to sell it, and getting the highest possible price.
A few key factors include:
1) The condition and location of the house compared to similar homes recently sold nearby.
2) If you plan to occupy the house while it's being sold.
3) If the house is renovated, vacant, and/or staged for the sale.
4) If the house is clean and well presented.
You can help eliminate buyer objections before they arise with a well-presented house they can see themselves living in.
Start by making necessary repairs and improvements, some of which are listed below:
Yards & Curb Appeal
- Spruce up your garden and lawn, trim shrubbery, add colorful flowers and mulch.
- Yard and patio should be neat; outdoor furniture should be clean and in good shape.
- Clean, paint, or replace your front door - remember first impressions last the longest.
- Manicure your front yard; make sure your driveway and entryway are free of clutter.
- Check that house numbers, mailbox, and exterior lighting are all in good repair or updated.
- Power wash and touch up with fresh paint as needed.
- Inspect chimney for cracks or earthquake damage.
- Repair loose trim, drain pipes, and fencing.
- Wash windows and screens.
- Apply fresh paint as needed. Consider brightening your interiors with light grays, whites, or neutral colors.
- Clean or remove carpets. Repair, refinish, replace, or update hardwood, laminate, tile or other flooring.
- Update light fixtures and dated ceiling fans. These are relatively inexpensive and make a huge difference.
- Clean the fireplace and remove smoke stains from the wall and mantle. Reface or paint as needed.
- Clean or replace window coverings with wide plank blinds or shutters. Remove dark curtains.
- Sinks, appliances, fixtures, hardware, and counter tops should sparkle; remove all clutter.
- Clean the oven, range, and other appliances top to bottom.
- Clean tile and grout or replace if dated.
- Clean mirrors, glass, chrome, stone, flooring, and porcelain.
- Replace shower curtains with a simple patterned lighter color.
- Replace dated faucets, fixtures, and hardware. Repair drips or leaks.
- Clean grout and caulking; replace if necessary.
- Replace older toilets with lower flowing chair height models.
- Doors and drawers should open and close easily.
- Remove clutter; tidy up shelves and racks.
- Shoes and clothes should be neatly arranged.
- Remove clutter and tidy up the shelves.
- Clean the floor and consider painting it with a non-slip enamel paint.
- Check the basics around the house. It takes just a minute to check all doors, windows and cabinets to make sure they don't stick, squeak or are too loose.
- Clean your furnace and water heater so buyers know they are looking at a house that has been well maintained.
We understand that your success is paramount to ours. Let us show you how to get the highest possible price in the record time with our multichannel marketing expertise and three-tier selling strategy base on your budget, goals, and timelines. Because your sale is about you and your needs!